Pembroke Dock Harlequins RFC | 1st Team 14 - 14 Haverfordwest RFC | 1st Team
Lewis Davies
Conversion 2
Liam Hargrave-gibson
Try 1
James Skeels
Try 1

Match Report
15 October 2017 / Team News

Quins v Haverfordwest

In the end it was all square as the Blues 100% record continued as they fought back valiantly after being 14 points adrift with just 10 minutes remaining.
Both sides got off to reasonable start the Blues tried to get their dangerous  Dane Pindare and Ben Skudder into the game as much as possible but the Quins to a man thwarted their efforts forcing the visitors into uncustomary handling errors. With some fine first up tackling especially from the back row of Steffan Hallward, Harry Owen and Quins Man of the Match Hywel Baker. It took until the 35th minute for the first score to arrive and it went to the Quins after some superb ball retention the Blues defence which had been pretty solid up till then cracked and debutant Scrum Half James Skeels forced himself over the line with what seemed the entire Quins pack behind him. Centre Lewis Davies popped over the conversion to give the Quins a 7 point lead. The Blues then came right back at the Quins and with Dane Pindare and his fellow wing Ben Skudder lining up on the Quins left, it looked a certain score. It took a sensational covering tackle by Full Back Aaron James which would have graced any game to prevent a certain score. As the game went into 1st half injury time the Quins struck again as a Blues midfield attack broke down on their 10m line. Quins winger Liam Hargreaves-Gibson picked the ball off his toes before racing in from 40 metres to score the Quins 2nd try. Lewis Davies added the extras as the Referee's whistle went for half time.
As the 2nd half started, the Blues had a mountain to climb if they were to hang on to their unbeaten record. Penalty shots were turned down as they tried to force a score. The Quins seemed to be reasonably comfortable without the ball as their first up tackling was holding well enough. As the game went into the final quarter it be became clear it was the Blues attack against the Quins defence. But with 10 minutes remaining, left wing Ben Skudder outstripped the Quins defence to score halfway out. Replacement centre Gareth John slotted over the conversion to put the Blues back in the game. With time running out, the visitors tails were now up and they were soon putting the Quins under tremendous pressure. With just 2 minutes remaining, full back Rhys Baker cracked the Quins defence to score again halfway out. It was now all about the conversion and Gareth John cool as a cucumber stroked it over with minimum of effort. The Quins went back on the attack but when the ball was knocked on at the next ruck the Referee blew for full time.
The Game was a credit to both sides, with all the players not giving an inch in a game which unusually enough did not produce one penalty shot at goal from either side.
Team. Aaron James, LiamHargreaves-Gibson, Lewis Davies, Thomas Doyle (capt), Charlie Dearden, Jake Griffiths, James Skeels, Steffan Hallward, Harry Owen, Hywel Baker, Sam James, Alex Pierce, Mark Van Rhyn, George Bellmaine, Jack Davies.
Replacements. Martin Culley, Rob Hearne, Dan Goodridge, Aaron Cookson.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos